Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richie Crider

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2013 LR4. One major issue is that I can’t start the car (without putting the key fob under the steering wheel) until after 10:30. I’m serious. Sometime around 10:30, the fob works fine and I can start the car with the fob in my pocket. When I do start it with the fob under the steering wheel, it has to run or be driven for 30 minutes or so before the gauges start working. Weird, right? Can anyone help with this?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the battery in the FOB is near-dead and the time-effect is temperature related. Slide off the silver cover, and pry the two halves apart using the key blade to get inside.

When you change it, I'd also clean the gold contacts with a pencil eraser to make sure there's no gunk preventing a good connection, and maybe squeeze the two sides together a bit to make sure it grips the edge of the battery tightly.

Have you pulled codes?

Last edited:

Richie Crider

Reaction score
I replaced the batteries when I first got it. I took it to a local shop and they pulled all the codes and updated everything. Still happening. I can open the car, start it but certain things won’t come on until after 10:30, like the ac, instrument panel, parking assist. And then, if I’m driving at the time, all of a sudden everything comes on. It was scary at first, but I’m used to it now. Just wondering if it’s a timer or something or if I should pay for an electrical trace. Very frustrating.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the batteries when I first got it. I took it to a local shop and they pulled all the codes and updated everything. Still happening. I can open the car, start it but certain things won’t come on until after 10:30, like the ac, instrument panel, parking assist. And then, if I’m driving at the time, all of a sudden everything comes on. It was scary at first, but I’m used to it now. Just wondering if it’s a timer or something or if I should pay for an electrical trace. Very frustrating.

I guess the real test would be to set your clock a couple hours behind and see if this has any effect.

Matt1t

Reaction score
That would boggle my mind if this was some sort of feature. What would be the purpose of such timer? Interested in knowing if setting the time back on the truck coincides.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be some sort of demented valet mode? That's weird, man. My first guess was the temp-related, low-bat issue. Same as fire detector beeps coming on at night at low temp.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking as well - once the car warms up, something is changing.

OP - is it really associated with the clock (time of day) or just getting the car warmed up?

Richie Crider

Reaction score
I’m finally taking it to the dealership Tuesday. We will se what they say. I’ll keep you posted.

Richie Crider

Reaction score
Diagnosed as a short between the central junction box and the keyless vehicle module. $2,600 fix. Hopefully that fixes the issue (praying). Lol. Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72