really rough ride after installing new Toyo Open Country A/T 3 19"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Tires are factory size 19s.

I expected the ride to be a little louder and a little less smooth when I jumped from pure street tires to an A/T but it's really bumpy at speed. I got it done at Town Fair Tire in the Boston burbs. They did a 4 wheel alignment when they mounted and balanced the tires. I had the two front tire re-balanced a few days ago and it's still rough.

I've had Duratracs and K04s on a pickup truck in recent years and they were fairly smooth.

The truck has 100k miles on it.

I'm thinking either:

-unbalanced (they tried to fix 2 out of 4 with no luck)
-tires out of round or just plain bad
-or a bad alignment (is there such a thing?)

The truck is borderline undrivable now. I'm going back to get it fixed but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spin balanced or road-force balanced? I have found that road force balancing is the only way to go on the LR4. Try that first

Schlepper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a set of Open Country A/T III 255/60 19 last week and the ride is worlds better than my Open Country H/T and Cooper Zeons.

Wheels where refinished/straightened and the tires were road force balanced on a Hunter.

Your wheels are not balanced correctly.

IMG_7481.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a new set of these, and they ride softer than the stock Continentals. These are on 36/42 stock pressures. I got them installed at Discount Tire and they did a road force balance. Super happy with them.

I did notice they did take a bit of weight (Compared to OEM) to balance, but they are very smooth.

IMG_0480.JPEG

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An interesting side note is the recommended tire inflation pressures. Ever since the Firestone/Ford debacle and the overly litigious environment in the USA I have noticed that inflation pressures for the US are assuming the vehicle is at max load. Everywhere else in the world where it is assumed owners have half a brain the tire inflation pressures are lower, especially in the rear. I run 34F 37R with "normal" loading and bump pressure as required if hauling near GVWR or hauling a heavy tongue weight trailer etc. Check out the placard from other part of the world:
Screenshot 2021-02-05 225003.png

The ride is much nicer in scenario #1 (light load)

Reaction score
Thanks all! I’m on stock pressure and the tire shop claims to use a Hunter Hawkeye (which looks camera based). I’m going to lower tire pressure as well as bring it somewhere with a road force machine.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires are factory size 19s.

I expected the ride to be a little louder and a little less smooth when I jumped from pure street tires to an A/T but it's really bumpy at speed. I got it done at Town Fair Tire in the Boston burbs. They did a 4 wheel alignment when they mounted and balanced the tires. I had the two front tire re-balanced a few days ago and it's still rough.

I've had Duratracs and K04s on a pickup truck in recent years and they were fairly smooth.

The truck has 100k miles on it.

I'm thinking either:

-unbalanced (they tried to fix 2 out of 4 with no luck)
-tires out of round or just plain bad
-or a bad alignment (is there such a thing?)

The truck is borderline undrivable now. I'm going back to get it fixed but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at?

"Rough" meaning harsh over bumps and expansion joints? Or "rough" meaning the steering wheel is shaking ?

I think people have pointed out the basic causes of both... If the former, double-check tir epressures. If the latter, its out of balance. I'm assuming you don't have any leaks or faults resulting in your car lowering itself to the bump stops.

Reaction score
Thank you! Rough as in constant vibration at speed. It’s particularly bad at 68 mph and above. The view out the rear view mirror gets hazy because the mirror is vibrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM