Replaced my rear brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the factory service agreement has expired, it's my turn to take over the maintenance responsibilities. I am happy to do so as it allows me to get more familiar with my rig.

Last night I changed the oil, new air filter, and rear brakes. It all went pretty smoothly and took me just over three hours. I went with the Akebono EUR-1099 Pads and the install was just like any other pads for disc brakes. One thing I didn't have and I wished I did was a 12pt 15mm socket to remove the calipers. You can use a wrench, but a ratchet would be much easier. The bolts were tight enough, I had to use another wrench as a cheater. The other surprise is what appears to be a wear sensor on the passenger side. But it's pretty simple to pull off the old pad and install on the new. My patient wife pumped brakes for a good 20 minutes for me as I wanted to flush the system.

Now I can't wait until the front pads wear out so I can be DONE with brake dust!

One bad thing I noticed is I am leaking antifreeze. The dealer had recently replaced my thermostat and the leak appears to be at the housing there and dripping down. I am going to double check this evening when my wife gets home with the car, but am unsure what I am going to do from here. It's a pretty easy fix to do myself and might be less inconvenient then getting the dealer to fix their mistake. However, they will know of this error after I confirm tonight. Also, I am missing a 13mm bolt on the skid plate. I am pretty sure I did not misplace it as I cleaned up the garage after the task.

If you have specific questions, I am happy to share my experience.

J.D.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the Akebono's do? I never could get used the reduced stoping power of their ceramic pads on my other car. The lack of brake dust is nice.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to tell for me being that they are rear brakes and don't have the load the fronts do, and I don't drive the car daily. However, in my little test drive, I noticed no difference other than the squeak was gone.

J.D.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S
If you have specific questions, I am happy to share my experience.

J.D.
Do you make house calls? :)

Thanks for sharing. So you did not swap out the rear rotors? Curious how much thickness remained. Did you measure them? I am also going to need rear pads soon, and appreciate the insight.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you make house calls? :)

Thanks for sharing. So you did not swap out the rear rotors? Curious how much thickness remained. Did you measure them? I am also going to need rear pads soon, and appreciate the insight.

Lol, for the right price...

No i left the rotors, they were in good shape, no grooves to speak of. There is a lip around the perimeter of the rotor where the pads don't contact and it was obvious not much material was gone so i felt safe running them some more. Not sure I'll be that lucky with the front.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99