Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet drill! :D

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Parts day!! Got most of parts today, the only thing that Merriam didn't have in stock was the crank seal. Received the timing, Headgasket, seals and headbolts.
A12A9995-C0FB-4868-82CF-DC322B27F3B0.jpeg

I also spent most of the day retapping the remaining headbolt holes, I'm so happy that part is done, all in all, that probably took 15 hrs worth of my time. Some of the easier to reach ones only took 20 minutes where the hard to reach ones, mainly the lower corner ones took over an hour each.
785E2AA1-BC40-4C3F-8494-99762288ED92.jpeg

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was still some residual oil in the pan so I drained that and cleaned the water jacket passages as those were super gunked up before, probably from the oil and coolant mixing. Now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the bottom/crank timing chain as the workshop manual is a bit skimpy on those details. I'm hoping to have most of the re-assembly completed this week. More to come....

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few updates: drained the rest of the oil and cleaned both feed tubes, I didn't replace the bottom aux chain, tensioner and guide as you need to drop the oil pan for this, to drop the oil pan it looks like the motor needs to be out. However, I checked the condition on the lowest timing components and it looks to be in good shape, so I'll leave them as is.

Both heads have been put on and torqued to spec, connected the exhaust manifold and O2 sensors.
09A20165-5892-42CC-BB02-7B7029671257.jpeg

Next up will be to get the camshafts and timing components.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what these black tubes are that are inserted near the rear of both heads?

17CDC6B0-6B32-4CDB-84AD-CEC89D627653.jpeg

One of them came back broken from the machine shop as I had forgotten to take them out, so I'll need to replace it but they don't have part numbers and aren't visible on any parts diagrams that I've seen.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cams and the rest of the timing components are in. All timed up. Actually had to do this twice as the first time I noticed that 3 of my cam followers on the drivers side bank only had 0.21mm of clearance, that's 0.02mm beyond the threshold, not sure it would've made that much of an impact as these followers break in/wear over time and the gap would've all but disappeared but I didn't want to risk burning valves especially since it took me a few extra hrs so I went to the local stealership LR of Denver and spent on $30 per follower (3x more then Merriam... ouch).

While I was checking the cooling components, I noticed that the rear crossover inlet was in terrible shape and the water pump (even though newer) is not OEM. LR helped me out a bit with the price: $300 for the water pump kit, $124 for the rear inlet, $71 for the front inlet and $24 for a new oil cooler tube as I kept trampling on mine while working on the inserts. All in for parts so far I'm about $1900 for all genuine parts.. this is not including tools or the insert kit.

D6ACD5A3-5F89-49C7-9A8C-513996E43B24.jpeg

Last edited:

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slapped together the rest of the parts the last few days, IE intake with new gaskets, valve covers, injectors coils and fuel lines. Struggled a bit with the water hoses, had an air leak but determined it was an incorrectly connected hose (smaller hose that's supposed to plug in from above the thermostat to the water pump bleeder ******).Rad fan and shroud was installed, I needed to buy the wrench kit for the fan as Autozone and Advanced auto no longer carried the 36mm rental kit but Autozone had one last kit for sale which included the 57mm wrench for $16. Poured 5w20 Castro Edge in and filled up the cooling system with water once I was fairly confident that I don't have any air leaks.

7081777F-E2C7-48C8-BD2A-1EC2FFB75191.jpeg

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also put 5 gallons of fresh premium in case the old fuel is stale, it has been over a year after all! drumroll................. She fired up on the second try!!! A plume of white smoke billowed out the exhaust, however this cleared up entirely after about 20 min, likely due residual coolant being in the exhaust system. I did confirm before I put the heads on that the catalytic converters looked good with a bore scope.

Video of the first startup will be posted shortly! I'm so pumped she started right up She sounds smooth as butter. Already took the truck to pick up a pizza!

I have a few things to note:
1. There are two faults, one is regarding the charging system. I was reading that this could just be a reprogramming issue with the battery which I had hooked up to a tender to keep it charged up or I missed a cable on the positive terminal. The other is regarding the TPMS.
2. There is a minor oil leak that will require further investigation, suspecting the passenger side valve cover
3. Car went into limp mode after I tried to punch it a bit, likely due to the injectors/plugs/coils requiring either servicing or replacement as I reused all of these. Not super surprised but will confirm this once I register my Bluetooth IID reader and run the codes. If I shut off the car and start it back up, limp mode disappears and the truck runs great when I'm relatively easy on the throttle.

Last edited:

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also put 5 gallons of fresh premium in case the old fuel is stale, it has been over a year after all! drumroll................. She fired up on the second try!!! A plume of white smoke billowed out the exhaust, however this cleared up entirely after about 20 min, likely due residual coolant being in the exhaust system. I did confirm before I put the heads on that the catalytic converters looked good with a bore scope.

Video of the first startup will be posted shortly! I'm so pumped she started right up She sounds smooth as butter. Already took the truck to pick up a pizza!

I have a few things to note:
1. There are two faults, one is regarding the charging system. I was reading that this could just be a reprogramming issue with the battery which I had hooked up to a tender to keep it charged up or I missed a cable on the positive terminal. The other is regarding the TPMS.
2. There is a minor oil leak that will require further investigation, suspecting the passenger side valve cover
3. Car went into limp mode after I tried to punch it a bit, likely due to the injectors/plugs/coils requiring either servicing or replacement as I reused all of these. Not super surprised but will confirm this once I register my Bluetooth IID reader and run the codes. If I shut off the car and start it back up, limp mode disappears and the truck runs great when I'm relatively easy on the throttle.
Figured out the issue with one of the faults, the charging system fault was as a result of my forgetting to connect a wire on the positive terminal. The TPMS issue cleared but returned, so I will need to chase that one down. There is also a fault with both of the front seat heaters but this is less critical.
GAP Diagnostic got back to me and I was able to register my preowned IID BT tool, there was a miss-fire on cylinder 4, cleared the codes and drove the truck into work this morning and no error codes so far but I will have to check it underload once again. I will still probably opt for replacing all of the spark plugs and coils and get the injectors serviced or replaced as well.

I still have to track down the source of the oil leak as well but all-in-all the truck has been running pretty smoothly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV