Suggested Powertank mounting place??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThePecker

Reaction score
Does anyone have a place they recommend for mounting a 5 lb. or 10 lb. Powertank in their LR4 (or LR3)?? Looking for a brilliant solution, would love pics.
Thanks

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what a "Powertank" is
Hey baobay,

I believe Powertank is a brand for a portable CO2 compressor that is used for airing up tires, etc. during off-roading. A lot of off-roading guys (*********) have portable CO2 air systems for their air needs.

I just have a mini air compressor that plugs into the power outlet - hehe! :)

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Nope. A PowerTank is just a tank of compressed CO2 with a regulator and hose. It's advantage over a compressor is it has a much greater flow rate than a compressor. It is much faster than a compressor for airing up tires, and can be used to re-seat tire beads or run air tools.

The downside of the PowerTank is that its supply of air is limited.

IMHO, a PowerTank is a great thing to have in addition to a compressor, but it doesn't replace one.

The PowerTank is typically mounted like a fire extinguisher would be. A bracket must be anchored to the truck somewhere. On your run-of-the-mill Jeep it would be mounted to a roll bar. On other vehicles it would be mounted to the floor of the cargo area. It should be mounted to steel. The OP is having trouble finding a worthy place to drill holes. The floor of the cargo compartment is the third row seatbacks. The sides of the cargo area are plastic.

@ ******:
How's this? Mount the Powertank bracket to a piece of plywood. Use ratchet straps to strap the plywood to the back of one of the stowed third row seats.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. A PowerTank is just a tank of compressed CO2 with a regulator and hose. It's advantage over a compressor is it has a much greater flow rate than a compressor. It is much faster than a compressor for airing up tires, and can be used to re-seat tire beads or run air tools.

The downside of the PowerTank is that its supply of air is limited.

IMHO, a PowerTank is a great thing to have in addition to a compressor, but it doesn't replace one.

The PowerTank is typically mounted like a fire extinguisher would be. A bracket must be anchored to the truck somewhere. On your run-of-the-mill Jeep it would be mounted to a roll bar. On other vehicles it would be mounted to the floor of the cargo area. It should be mounted to steel. The OP is having trouble finding a worthy place to drill holes. The floor of the cargo compartment is the third row seatbacks. The sides of the cargo area are plastic.

@ ******:
How's this? Mount the Powertank bracket to a piece of plywood. Use ratchet straps to strap the plywood to the back of one of the stowed third row seats.
Thanks, CaptainSpalding! :)

This was a great clarification.

-David

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I really think that a good compressor is a must, but… - It would be great to find a good spot / solution to mound diving tanks! 8)

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Well, whether its a Power Tank or Scuba Tanks, it's all just a matter of how ******** you want to go. Do you want to start drilling into plastic and steel? Or do you want the truck to be mostly unmolested?

Here's a photo of the Roll Control SCUBA Rack. It would work for either SCUBA tanks or a Powertank. It would require drilling. If it is to be mounted to the side of the cargo area, I would want to be sure that when the rack's arms are folded down there is enough clearance for the third row seat backs to get by them.

21mILMpty5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For the no-drilling option, an ad hoc rack made from PVC pipe would work fine. It could be tied down using a ratchet strap and the child seat anchors on the backs of the second row seats and the anchors on the floor.

A search for "SCUBA tank racks" will reveal a plethora of ideas.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... For the no-drilling option, an ad hoc rack made from PVC pipe would work fine. It could be tied down using a ratchet strap and the child seat anchors on the backs of the second row seats and the anchors on the floor.

A search for "SCUBA tank racks" will reveal a plethora of ideas.
PVC - that is the word! I was going to say that I would make it myself, but was not sure what off - PVC sounds great.

And in my case I would not drill the truck, I don’t use it that often, but when I do the removable structure would work great - first you can make a holder for tanks, second - rack for BC and wetsuit.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PVC - that is the word! I was going to say that I would make it myself, but was not sure what off - PVC sounds great.

And in my case I would not drill the truck, I don’t use it that often, but when I do the removable structure would work great - first you can make a holder for tanks, second - rack for BC and wetsuit.

if you do not bolt/screw this contraption down, it will become a very heavy projectile with a good amount of kinetic energy in the event of an accident!

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do not bolt/screw this contraption down, it will become a very heavy projectile with a good amount of kinetic energy in the event of an accident!

You are right, but if you move the tanks all the way to the back of the rear seat, it should be ok. The main perpose is to secure it so they don't fly at turns...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112