Suspension creaking squawking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the stubby sockets I linked above worked great. I ground the 18mm one a little, but not sure I needed to. I didn't use the wobble extension at all. Instead, the stubby socket, a universal-joint adapter, a short extension, and then a combination of a manual socket wrench, my Milkwaukee power socket wrench, and an offset box end wrench got it off pretty easily.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that, after replacing the front and rear sway bar bushings, the sound still remains. I can hear it both when the suspension cycles a little (even when I just push down on the front passenger-side bumper and fender) and when I turn the wheel. That tells me it's probably either a ball joint or the tie rods. My hope is it's the latter.

I'm at the point now where I'm taking it to my independent mechanic. I've spent way more time on this already than it's worth to me, so I'll see when I drop it off there on Tuesday what the verdict is.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the stubby sockets I linked above worked great. I ground the 18mm one a little, but not sure I needed to. I didn't use the wobble extension at all. Instead, the stubby socket, a universal-joint adapter, a short extension, and then a combination of a manual socket wrench, my Milkwaukee power socket wrench, and an offset box end wrench got it off pretty easily.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that, after replacing the front and rear sway bar bushings, the sound still remains. I can hear it both when the suspension cycles a little (even when I just push down on the front passenger-side bumper and fender) and when I turn the wheel. That tells me it's probably either a ball joint or the tie rods. My hope is it's the latter.

I'm at the point now where I'm taking it to my independent mechanic. I've spent way more time on this already than it's worth to me, so I'll see when I drop it off there on Tuesday what the verdict is.

You just jogged my memory. I had a clunk at one point when pushing down on the left front end of the bumper.

It went away after changing the tie rod ends.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is more of a creak, like an old mattress. Just the perfect sound to drive you crazy as you drive down the road.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front passenger side lower ball joint. Sucks, because those were replaced as part of my lower control arms in December 2017, or about 22k miles ago.

My mechanic thinks whoever made the replacement control arms (I'm not sure of the brand--I bought them through Lucky 8) cheaped out and didn't put enough grease inside the rubber ball joint cover. Since it's sealed, you can't really check how much grease is in there when you get them.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I want to replace just that ball joint or have all new front control arms put in.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the replacement LCA's were aftermarket, they may have simply failed in 22kmi. In Mercedes land, Meyle/Febi brand ball joint failures have been reported in as little as 4kmi, where OE/OEM generally last 200k+. Wouldn't surprise me if a similar scenario exists in Roverland.

:oops:

Thousand

Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to have the same issue with my Range Rover Vogue (2009) front suspension sounding like an old mattress, when I drive over bumps.
I was wondering, how quickly this should be fixed - I don't have the time atm to get it repaired, also need my car. Any advice on how long I can wait until I have to get this fixed?

thanks, Mike

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to have the same issue with my Range Rover Vogue (2009) front suspension sounding like an old mattress, when I drive over bumps.
I was wondering, how quickly this should be fixed - I don't have the time atm to get it repaired, also need my car. Any advice on how long I can wait until I have to get this fixed?

thanks, Mike
When the squeak turns into a clunk then it's time

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72