Well crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just wise to tackle this preemptively. Wasn't there a theory that these failures (particularly the catastrophic type) was more prevalent in hot weather climates?

Despite the low miles, I plan on preventive cooling system work at 8 years (Fall 2021) when I expect to have 52-55k miles.

My 2011 NC Miata has a questionable coolant tank (that is known to crack with age) so last week I replaced that, the thermostat, and the accessory belt for the same reason. But that car has 95k miles and 9.5 years and it was coming due for a coolant flush. Never gave me any trouble. I just wanted to be safe.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a preemptive replacement of the crossovers at 80K and bought an UltraGauge that tells me the coolant temp as well as sound an alarm if the temp goes over 205 degrees F. Not sure how accurate it is but it's got to be better than the LR temp gauge. The coolant temp usually hits and stays around 195 degrees F. The UltraGauge is only $80. To me, that is pretty inexpensive for the additional protection.
I have been using my ultra gauge for just over a year now and it is a engine saver, I have my temp alarm set to 210, last summer Vegas hit 112-116 is some parts but my temp never goes above 190 driving and idle in drivethru never went above 208. The alarm feature is the best feature.

jsanders632

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on a good location to tap into the cooling system and add a pressure sensor? I'd like to add this for peace of mind while doing the crossover pipe replacement.

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
It was 100% the crossover. I would encourage everyone above 70 to 80k miles, to change prophylactically...asap! Even at 400 to 600$, it is worth it. Good used engine is $8 to 12k plus labor. New engine $15 to 17k, and a reman in between. So $500 every 70k Mile's is nothing. And I will for sure add both a block coolant temp and pressure sensor as insurance.

I would 100% buy it again and be even more proactive on maintenance based on what I know now. May look for low mile 2016 with extended warranty.

Waiting to hear on insurance, but looks like it will be totaled, but dont know yet. If possible, I will try to buy it on a salvage title, and replace my self leisurely, over time.

I'm looking ate P/U's and SUV's to replace it with, but nothing below a new Lincoln (which are wonderful, but start at $90k) is even close in comfort. I'm a partially DV, and hip and back pain driving anything else is miserable. If nothing else, LR sure knows how to design a seat!!

Will update once I hear final from Insurance Company.

I will put in a plug for Central Insurance. They have been great on house and car.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 100% the crossover. I would encourage everyone above 70 to 80k miles, to change prophylactically...asap! Even at 400 to 600$, it is worth it. Good used engine is $8 to 12k plus labor. New engine $15 to 17k, and a reman in between. So $500 every 70k Mile's is nothing. And I will for sure add both a block coolant temp and pressure sensor as insurance.

I would 100% buy it again and be even more proactive on maintenance based on what I know now. May look for low mile 2016 with extended warranty.

Waiting to hear on insurance, but looks like it will be totaled, but dont know yet. If possible, I will try to buy it on a salvage title, and replace my self leisurely, over time.

I'm looking ate P/U's and SUV's to replace it with, but nothing below a new Lincoln (which are wonderful, but start at $90k) is even close in comfort. I'm a partially DV, and hip and back pain driving anything else is miserable. If nothing else, LR sure knows how to design a seat!!

Will update once I hear final from Insurance Company.

I will put in a plug for Central Insurance. They have been great on house and car.

whoa, wait, huh? Your car insurance is covering this? What am i missing? Or, did you have some kind of after market warranty?

pabs406

Reaction score
Hello Forum Members! Can one of you guys take a look at the repairs that were made to my rig and advise if the parts that are known to fail were all replaced (I.e. the infamous “cross over pipe”)? Just want to make sure that I’m covered for now. Thanks I’m advance!

E461C6F6-393F-4768-8FCD-28B081AE055C.jpeg

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72