Well crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
Preliminary diagnosis is in fact, the coolant crossover failing, rapid loss of coolant at highway speed, rapid overheat warped valve covers enough to blow oil oil rapidly.

Dealer says they have seen it and 50%, in driver stops immediately, can be repaired. I'm having them do a compression test. If all cyls good on dry and wet test, then may repair. But likely engine is toast.

The irony is in my having already ordered the crossover and timing chain kit to change as a preventative measure. Will arrive next week. Oh well.

We will see mid week next, what shop says. Thanks everyone.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preliminary diagnosis is in fact, the coolant crossover failing, rapid loss of coolant at highway speed, rapid overheat warped valve covers enough to blow oil oil rapidly.

Dealer says they have seen it and 50%, in driver stops immediately, can be repaired. I'm having them do a compression test. If all cyls good on dry and wet test, then may repair. But likely engine is toast.

The irony is in my having already ordered the crossover and timing chain kit to change as a preventative measure. Will arrive next week. Oh well.

We will see mid week next, what shop says. Thanks everyone.

Cross your fingers. The timing chain noise dominates peoples concerns but the cross over is the silent killer. Chain noise won't destroy the engine...

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. I am a little surprised there is no class action on this issue. It seems so endemic and like an ounce of engineering would have solved this in the planning stage. The conspiracist in me imagines a meeting with the engineers and bean counters where the bean counters ask how do we drive more “users” to the dealer for huge service dollars just after warranties are up and this is what they came up with - predictable catastrophic failure due to thermic materials failure

Michael Puig

Reaction score
What a Bummer - Ill look into this but what is up with the JLR design that it needs crossover pipes? Is all this to cool the heads? I can recall any US V8 that has crossover pipes let alone a LS.

Let me understand - if the crossover pipes are plugged - the heads will over heat? ***??

Has someone ever considered a re-plumb?

I recall we went over electric water pumps but that does not resolve the crossovers.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I think the big problem with the crossovers is that they interface the engine directly. They are plastic connected to the metal thermal source. They get very brittle over time. One of mine crumbled on removal at only 70k.
I think they should have a metal elbow barb interface coming off the block to a flexible hose.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be shocked & bummed too. I assume it's the V8?? We don't hear of many catastrophic failures here in Australia because the vast majority of D4's are 3.0 lt. diesels. They have a tougher block, but then head
gasket failures can happen to any motor. I've had two such failures in Toyota's.
I'd be looking closely at the recent replacement of the water pump. Was it done by a dealer?
If it was me there'd be no question. Replace whatever has failed & do a complete rebuild if needed.
For $10K you'll NEVER get a better vehicle. Yours looks brilliant for 100K miles! Just needs a bullbar!
The D5 is crap!! You cannot fit most needed aftermarket gear to it. D4's here in Oz are increasing in
value by the month as folks realize just how good they are. I couldn't believe the "agreed value" amount
on my recent reinsurance policy for my 2014 build D4.
The new Defender is going to be too expensive when we finally get it here. And I don't like the choice of
motors we're going to be offered.
Land Cruiser V8 diesels are much too expensive - even on the used market. Most offroaders here now
buy dual-cab pickups with 3.0lt diesels. Rangers and the like - most built in Thailand & all much cheaper
than Discovery, Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol V8 gas.(Armada I think in U.S.)
Depending on what you use the vehicle for, you'll never find a better vehicle for its intended purpose -
long-distance comfortable travel with amazing offroad capabilities. Fix it & enjoy the next 100K miles.
I'm keeping mine for as long as I can keep driving, no matter what the cost!!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking about a preemptive change of our front and rear crossover pipes. Anyone have an idea what a decent indie shop would charge? Guessing dealer is stupid money.

Thanks

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thinking about a preemptive change of our front and rear crossover pipes. Anyone have an idea what a decent indie shop would charge? Guessing dealer is stupid money.

Thanks
I think mine (both pipes and water pump) were about 5-6 hrs labor + parts. I did mine pre-emptively at 72,000 miles when I bought the truck since it's such a common point of failure and have never regretted it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi