Well crap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you would even see a low coolant warning light before failure? I know when my water pump main bearing seal failed whilst driving along, I got a low coolant light before anything critical happened. I was able to pull over quick and walk to an Autozone for coolant. Got though almost 5 gallons in the 1/2hr drive to the dealership.

It depends on how catastrophic the failure is, I suppose.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a failed cross over could pump that volume in a few minutes. The only coolant level sensor is in the recovery tank. Level in the tank is probably fine and non existent elsewhere. What is needed is a coolant pressure gauge.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Essentially this thing is a ticking time bomb if you don’t preemptively change the crossovers! I will mention again that the new style crossovers (rounded no seams) look much better than the old style (sandwiched two pieces). God I hope they hold up for as long as I own it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Essentially this thing is a ticking time bomb if you don’t preemptively change the crossovers! I will mention again that the new style crossovers (rounded no seams) look much better than the old style (sandwiched two pieces). God I hope they hold up for as long as I own it.

Didn't realize there was a new design.

Are any other updated parts required as well, such as thermostat housing?

Part numbers of revised items?

Thanks for the heads up, guess I will add them to my list.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I also didn't realize there was a new design as I just had mine replaced and I thought that they were the ones with the seams. Any other info?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And last snag before completion is that the new coolant Y pipe apparently is a new design. It does not fit the elbow and crossover that I had replaced a few thousand miles ago. So I had to go back to the dealer and drop another hundred $ on a NEWNEW crossover.
Here is a picture of the design difference. Apparently the old one is more of a two piece sandwich construction. And the new one is more of a unified mold process. Parts guy said most failures were along the seam of the old ones. View attachment 10262 so in sum if you want the new mold process you need to buy both the Y pipe and the crossover. And don’t forget that bleeder plug because it does not come in the new pipe.
here’s to hoping the new pieces last the life of the car.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And not sure on part numbers. They are different but the dealers only Spec the new ones. FYI they are not interchangeable. I thought I could buy one piece but they didn’t all fit together. Had to kind of do all the pipes

Edward2595

Reaction score
I updated mine as well to the new style front crossover pipe. The weak link in the cooling system at this point seems to be the rear crossover as it has not yet been updated. I changed my rear out as well even though it was the same but new while doing a bunch of maintenance parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72