Worth upgrade LR3 to LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you have to drop $12,000 to get new timing chain guides for your LR4, we'll see how much of an upgrade it feels like. Or when you smack those nice painted wheel arches into a tree and they crumble like a taco shell.

I like the interior door panels on the LR4 a lot, though.

dlonesty

Reaction score
So, I had 2 LR 3s and sold them for a 2011 LR4 HSE Lux. Why? Tow assist, trailer assist, more horsepower, larger brakes, better transmission, nicer interior, better sound system, newer. I hav e had it since 32k miles and now at 151k miles. No regrets at all...not a one.
I like the LR 3 better for looks, and wheel arches. However, I like the LED lights, auto everything. I call it HAL because, you know, 2001 movie computer.
And, $12k for timing chain, that I have yet to need, is still cheaper than buying another vehicle. My truck is paid for and works great...yes, there will be investments in it over time. But, still cheaper than new or otherwise other vehicle.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has its nice features for sure. Personally, I like HID lights better than LEDs. I have vehicles with both, and I just prefer the Arc Lamp technology. I would like more horsepower...for sure.

As I've said, both are good...I think you can make a punch list either way of things that are better on one than the other though, hence the word "upgrade" gnaws at me.

rs7trout

Reaction score
I have an 07 LR3 with the 8 cyl--mechanically excellent-exterior almost like new as is the interior 143,000 +- miles--finally took a 3,000 mile road trip up to Montana, Wyoming Utah (just got back a couple of days ago) I'm a photographer seeking out wildlife that's away from people(as opposed to wildlife that sits on the road)---drove on some nasty 4 wheel drive stuff( not super techy)--just snow-mud--stream crossings-- actually camped sleeping in the LR3 for about 5 nights of the trip--the car ran perfectly--got me into some very cool backcountry areas! I promised the car that if it got me back without issues I'd promptly take it in and detail it and then take it into my mechanic and have him pull any codes and do a tuneup---result the car still looks like new and runs perfectly--mechanic went over everything and ended up just changing filters and oil(I have kept the car up over the time I've had it--so most things that needed upgrading or replacing were already done!). And this is just from my mechanic--he indicated that he sees a lot more problems with the LR4s than the LR3s (maybe he's just trying to make me feel better about my car--it worked!!)

Bottom line per first post---I agree with others--keep the LR3 and treat it good--it will return the favor!!!

ggrupea

Reaction score
I think, on my experience, the latest LR3 and firsts LR4 are basically the same vehicles, except for the engines and some facelifts on the interior. The last versions of the LR4, with the new gear selector, and more refined interior could be a good change. But it's all on what you want to do with it. You want more luxury, or more cheaper spare parts. Sizes I understand are the same, and both LR can do the same things.

Reaction score
When you have to drop $12,000 to get new timing chain guides for your LR4, we'll see how much of an upgrade it feels like. Or when you smack those nice painted wheel arches into a tree and they crumble like a taco shell.

I had the timing chain/guides done on my 2011 LR4 HSE for $5K by a very competent shop that has former LL mechanics.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info, thanks. I have a friend who had this done on his wife's RRS. It was $12k, in Portland. I figured since the engines were the same the cost would be too.

gumbedamit

Reaction score

"When you have to drop $12,000 to get new timing chain guides for your LR4"
Get a 2013 model and not worry about the Timing Chain

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guides have always been metal however the update guide has a hardened version where the rod makes contact with the guide. FWIW I believe part of the drama about guides is related to LRs ridiculous 24k km oil change interval suggestion. I currently have a 2010 LR4 with 120k miles and the original chain is quiet as a church mouse. It has had reasonable oil change intervals throughout it's life.

The LR4 still uses HID lamps (same as the LR3 actually different bulb but still xenon). The LED lamps are just decorative bits. LR3 lamps seem to have more/better illumination but I believe it is related to the housings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV