2013 LR4 I'm new need advice on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you really need to air down for serious stuff, the stock size is fine. I’m going to 255/60-19 toyos bc I’m on the road 90% of the time. I’ve been airing down the stock junk contis the beach to 18psi no problem.

I have no desire to turn this truck into a “wheeling rig.” That’s a long, dark money pit of a road, and these trucks honestly will get embarrassed by a $3500 beat ass XJ on 33s if you want to get into the rocks. They don’t have enough clearance under the body.

This is probably the best solution for vehicles which will see light duty off road. The 60 sidewall gives you some more beef and the diameter is not so large that you reduce the on road performance.

johnny walker

Reaction score
any time you go to a higher aspect tire 55 series to 65 series the ride should get better all other things equal (side wall stiffness) will you notice a big difference? Probably not.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beg to disagree. The LR4 has the largest OEM clearance ever, I think. And you can increase it by 2", no mods, with a $500 tool like IID, Mudtech's Anitas or another similar piece of kit. And they tolerate 32" tyres with only slight rubbing. My max clearance that way - with no rods! - is some 17", so I don't see how an XJ on 33s would have much of an advantage. But you say you're on road mostly, perhaps you simply haven't tried what the LR4 can actually do? (It is way more expensive than an old XJ, of course).

I haven’t pushed mine, but I know what the trucks are capable of seeing them at events in person. They are FANTASTIC tourers, and amazing at mild wheeling but simply cannot keep up with solid front (and rear) axle rigs when it gets real rough. You say 17” of clearance? Ok well at full ***** the air suspension has barely any down travel left. My old XJ on 33s had probably 8” or more clearance under the rockers than that. Plus, the suspension was at ride height, with 8” down travel left in it.

You need one of those subframe lifts like they’re putting on Defenders and 35s to hang.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any time you go to a higher aspect tire 55 series to 65 series the ride should get better all other things equal (side wall stiffness) will you notice a big difference? Probably not.

but you also effectively gear the vehicle higher as well.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what the trucks are capable of seeing them at events in person. They are FANTASTIC tourers, and amazing at mild wheeling but simply cannot keep up with solid front (and rear) axle rigs when it gets real rough
I was referring to your "get into the rocks", now you're talking about events/competitions with heavily modified vehicles. I suppose the LR4s are still to pricey, and generally too refined, to be popular with those. They are also heavy, so they might never be the be the ultimate rock-crawling beasts. But if you applied the same mods to them as you would to an XJ, I still don't think there would be reason for shame, even in an event/competition.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to your "get into the rocks", now you're talking about events/competitions with heavily modified vehicles. I suppose the LR4s are still to pricey, and generally too refined, to be popular with those. They are also heavy, so they might never be the be the ultimate rock-crawling beasts. But if you applied the same mods to them as you would to an XJ, I still don't think there would be reason for shame, even in an event/competition.

It’s not the price, people take brand new Jeeps on the trail, new Defenders too.

And you can’t apply the same mods. They don’t exist. But I do agree that it’s a capable trick. Honestly, they’re a set of long travel CVs and UCAs, maybe some gears, and lots of sawzall from being actually correct for 35s.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, if we move from "getting into rocks" to events/competitions and from an "XJ on 33s" to heavily modified vehicles on 35s, then I guess the LR4 will lose out at some point. But I don't believe that it is substantially less capable, even in rock climbing, than the new Def. Or at least I haven't seen any proof that it would be.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me their take on ride quality in terms of going from stock 255/55/19 tires to the 265/65/18AT tires? I want to know if it soaks up bumps better and if it gives it a more softer ride or harder? Please give your inputs!

I went from 255/50r20 mich defenders to 265/60r18 ko2s and I did notice a difference on the pavement. The defenders gave an extremely smooth ride. The ko2s give a stiffer ride and “heavier” feel . Not that it’s bad or unexpected (to me at least), just different. I believe I also lost about 2 mpg.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me their take on ride quality in terms of going from stock 255/55/19 tires to the 265/65/18AT tires? I want to know if it soaks up bumps better and if it gives it a more softer ride or harder? Please give your inputs!

I went from 255/55/19 OEM to 255/60/19 AT (Toyo AT3) and noticed the extra sidewall helps a bit with the ride. Handling is obviously worse.

Roitan

Reaction score
I went with the Lucky8 18 steel wheels and BFG 265/65/18 tires that come in at 30 inches. At stock height I get a little annoying rub at full wheel turn so I have purchased a 2 inch Johnson Rod kit to install. Ride is excellent and it loves the desert trails.
IMG_7374.jpeg
IMG_7589.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick