2013 LR4 I'm new need advice on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandythedisco

Reaction score
I ordered and am waiting on my Tuffant steelies (18s). Will mount Ridge GRappler
265/65R18 116T XL
- according to Jake at Tuffant, its the max you can go without rubbing with no mods. Highly recommend TuffAnt as Jake's been awesome to deal with and answered all my questions over email.

Lars Johnson

Reaction score
Lars. There is more to it than just barrel diameter. The LR4 is heavy and they get loaded up even more. Many wheels than may fit may not have the specs needed to handled the weight. If Compos are too expensive then I suggest running OEM 19" wheels (which you can find cheap) and run a semi off road tire like the Toyo AT3 and run it in 255/60-19XL.

I know people love the Comps and they do indeed look great but I worry about all that unsprung weight. It has to affect the performance of the vehicle? No?

Everyone acts like there isn't an entire market for EVERY OTHER off road rig out there, I suppose people running icon, method, etc. wheels on jeeps, raptors, 4runners, etc. fully kitted out are just ready to break under their gigantic loads.....Most of the wheel options are originating in europe, and i venture to guess that s because these vehicles are way popular there. That makes sense. That doesn't mean there is any magic in the wheels they are making. We just need to know proper dimensions to choose accordingly.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lars is literally looking to reinvent the wheel.

Reaction score
B1A32ADA-C19C-48B7-99E5-7487EFD49B11.jpeg
A5CC65EF-AE48-4A68-88C3-8D2324D7BF2E.jpeg
2008 LR3 on 33’s

Just to clarify, unless you add the lift rods, the Lucky8 SYA kit alone does not lift the vehicle. It does keep it up 2” higher in an EAS failure. For me, it’s the only proper way to use the lift rods, with the SYA strut spacers. It also saves your air bags and close to factory ride as it allows the bags to maintain close to standard extension and pressure when you do have the rods in place.

I have 2.5” Proud Rhino lift rods and the 2” SYA kit (w/straps!) so my bags are only inflated 1/2” past factory spec. Again, the SYA kit does not raise anything. It just allows the bags to not do all the work on the lift you get from the rods.

Also... the gap tool is highly recommended to anyone messing with the EAS or running a modified Air Suspension. Invaluable on the trail or the road trip in the event these finicky ole trucks start yelling at you.

17DFF5C5-D393-4432-B442-2209FFBEA6C1.jpeg

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered and am waiting on my Tuffant steelies (18s). Will mount Ridge GRappler
265/65R18 116T XL
- according to Jake at Tuffant, its the max you can go without rubbing with no mods. Highly recommend TuffAnt as Jake's been awesome to deal with and answered all my questions over email.
Not going with the higher rated option? LT265/65R18 E 122/119Q

circa73

Reaction score
I've got some stock 6-spoke 19" wheels that I need to sell if any of you are interested - Salt Lake, UT area. They currently have 255/55 Dueler all-seasons installed.
View media item 552

Haris

Reaction score
@adclark, I have done some research on this topic, and have arrived at a similar solution to @sandythedisco above.

Basically, if you order 18" rims, many need spacers, however TuffAnts (tuffantusa.com) are steel rims that do not need offsets. Next, you have to decide which tire.

265/60/18s are closest to stock in terms of diameter and I hear do not lead to any rubbing.

265/65/18's rub when new at full turn lock and the height is lowered, and the spare has to be deflated to fit into the wheel well. I carry a fast compressor for air up/down, so have decided to take the risk on the 265/65/18s KO2s for the extra inch of tire - it seems quite a popular option. I DO NOT intend to cut down the frame knuckles.

I'll have these on in another 2 weeks, so can let you know then how much of a problem the rubbing is. OR others on this forum may have this info already.

HH

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some 265/65 tires rub at full lock; others do not. Depends on the tire.

adclark

Reaction score
@Haris definitely keep us posted! I too want the extra inch of tire if I can pull it off.
I’m leaning towards Grey compos on my black LR4 which won’t be ready til end of may due to the manufacturer making a new batch from overseas. I will await your results! I could order black ones today but prefer the gray - I do have my eye on the TuffAnt steelies tho. Send pics if u can!

- will be curious to know which tire you get. Currently there are no BFG AT’s anywhere near my area. I have to choose between Falcon wild peak or Cooper Discoverer at the 265/65 size

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72