Just got rejected for VA inspection for Lights and Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I thought he was complaining about too many LED tail lights, but they were fine. They dont like the offroad lights on the A-frame. Some law about too many operable lights. Crap law. They want me to cover them or cut the wires. Honestly they are more ornamental than useful. Anyone else had this trouble?

Also need new rear pads and rotors. Got 27000 miles from the green pads. Wheres the best place/price to get brakes these days?

Thanks!
IMG_0704.jpg

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PepBoys and such places sell the EBC Brakes and Green Stuff pads, highly suggested, many threads on the subject around. I am sure there are sellers on the site as well, that may sell them.

You will be happy with the EBC Rotors, i've got 70k on mine, and just get them lightly turned/trued at each pad change. They are more money than OEM, but well worth the investment, considering I would be on my third set of OEM's at this point. I really suggest you spring for all, and change all 4 at the same time, and then when they tell you that you need pads, change all pads at once as well. Mine wear out within 3000 miles of each other, it's not worth the extra trip to the shop.

I have a used set of rear rotors with 20k on them, or you can order them online and save money. Try http://Lucky8LLC.com or http://www.landrovermerriamparts.com.

On the lights, I never had an issue, if they are turned off, what's the difference? You can remove them for the inspection, or put the covers on them it came with perhaps? I am not familiar with VA rules. If you decide to disconnect them for the inspection, there are quick disconnects on the wire plugs behind the removable grill.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PepBoys and such places sell the EBC Brakes and Green Stuff pads, highly suggested, many threads on the subject around. I am sure there are sellers on the site as well, that may sell them.

You will be happy with the EBC Rotors, i've got 70k on mine, and just get them lightly turned/trued at each pad change. They are more money than OEM, but well worth the investment, considering I would be on my third set of OEM's at this point. I really suggest you spring for all, and change all 4 at the same time, and then when they tell you that you need pads, change all pads at once as well. Mine wear out within 3000 miles of each other, it's not worth the extra trip to the shop.

I have a used set of rear rotors with 20k on them, or you can order them online and save money. Lucky8LLC.com or landrovermerriamparts.com. Lucky8 maybe can help you, they're in the Buffalo area, and perhaps they do inspections.

On the lights, I never had an issue, if they are turned off, what's the difference? You can remove them for the inspection, or put the covers on them it came with perhaps? I am not familiar with VA rules. If you decide to disconnect them for the inspection, there are quick disconnects on the wire plugs behind the removable grill. My lights came with covers, they just were not installed, they were in the boot.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you mention to the inspectors, or would it matter, that they only operate with the brights? ...at least that's how mine are wired.

Fine looking LR3, by the way!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1

If these are wired with the OEM harness and switch, then the only operate with the high beams, and are legal. If not, then you can just get a set of covers for them and get re-inspected. Are your inspections done by the state or by independent shops in VA?

Nice setup on your LR3, I like the armor.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think they are just intimidated by that beast!!
:bandit:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. I found the VA law:

I found the law articles.
� 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise, (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time. However, this limitation shall not preclude the display of warning lights authorized in �� 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027, or other lights as may be authorized by the Superintendent.

C. Vehicles equipped with warning lights authorized in �� 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027 shall display lighted warning lights as authorized in such sections at all times when responding to emergency calls, towing disabled vehicles, or constructing, repairing, and maintaining public highways or utilities on or along public highways, except that amber lights on vehicles designed with a ramp on wheels and a hydraulic lift with a capacity to haul or tow another vehicle, commonly referred to as "rollbacks," need not be lit while the vehicle is in motion unless it is actually towing a vehicle.

� 46.2-1020. Other permissible lights.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights.

The provision of this section limiting interior lights to no more than 15 candlepower shall not apply to (i) alternating, blinking, or flashing colored emergency lights mounted inside law-enforcement motor vehicles which may otherwise legally be equipped with such colored emergency lights, or (ii) flashing shielded red or red and white lights, authorized under � 46.2-1024, mounted inside vehicles owned or used by (a) members of volunteer fire companies or volunteer rescue squads, (b) professional fire fighters, or (c) police chaplains. A vehicle equipped with lighting devices as authorized in this section shall be operated by a police chaplain only if he has successfully completed a course of training in the safe operation of a motor vehicle under emergency conditions and a certificate attesting to such successful completion, signed by the course instructor, is carried at all times in the vehicle when operated by the police chaplain to whom the certificate applies.

Unless such lighting device is both covered and unlit, no motor vehicle which is equipped with any lighting device other than lights required or permitted in this article, required or approved by the Superintendent, or required by the federal Department of Transportation shall be operated on any highway in the Commonwealth. Nothing in this section shall permit any vehicle, not otherwise authorized, to be equipped with colored emergency lights, whether blinking or steady-burning.​

Basically we can only have 4 headlights on at anyone time. Low beams and fogs - OK, Lows and Highs - OK. Leaves no room for offroad lights. Must be covered up for inspection. Ill try to find some covers that will fit over the OEM light cages. Did LR ever make such a cover?

OK, Ill order from British Atlantic / Rover parts unless anyone has a better suggestion for brake parts. I did the last pad swap all around and plan to do this one (+rotors). Thanks for the suggestions!

BTW - Im in Smith Mt Lake, VA now if anyone want to go offroading some time!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the same law in PA, and I have no problem with inspection. If you have them wired using the OEM harness, then they will only operate in conjunction with the high beams, and are legal. If you wired them separately, then you could have an issue with inspection.

LR does make covers for these, if needed to pass inspection.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the law it does state factory OEM lights are an exception....As long is it is oe highlight that line and show it during the next inspection...

� 46.2-1020. Other permissible lights.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99