LR4 19” tire options!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this the first rain in a while in your area? If it hasn't rained in a bit, oil and other vehicle fluids from clapped-out cars can accumulate on the road, and the roads can get slick when it finally rains.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been very impressed with the wet pavement performance of my Conti TC A/T's. I'd go with the theory suggested by @ryanjl.

I can't remember if the physics/hydrodynamics of hydroplaning create more of a risk at higher speeds or at a certain sweet spot, but I've driven like a church lady and like a bat out of hell on these tires in wet conditions and always felt locked in.

armozo

Reaction score
That is a great point, It had been raining for a while. It was more pronounced when there was a rut in the road.
Nevertheless it was there and I felt like at anytime I'd loose control.

I think I will return them and go for the GY Wragler Duratracs .

armozo

Reaction score
Quick update!

I just got back from a short trip, 100miles in total.
In my way back I got surprised by a rain storm. I am convinced these tires hydroplane severely with the slightest of steering input when going in a straight line.

I will be returning them Monday when the Duratrac come in. I am sad it turned out this way, I was sure I was going to like these tires.
Hopefully this information helps someone in their test drive and purchase process.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be returning them Monday when the Duratrac come in. I am sad it turned out this way, I was sure I was going to like these tires.

I will never argue with someone else's personal experience. As my mechanic says, no one knows a vehicle's feel like its owner. I will just say that this poor rain performance seems to be an exception to the consensus on this tire. But if I had any doubts about my tires I would do exactly what you are doing.

Also, are you sure that the Duratrac will do better in the rain? I did not think it was known for that. Good luck.

armozo

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your feedback. I am going back to the Duratracs because I had them for 80k miles. They didn’t behave this way.

On the subject of the Conti’s. I noted that the tread has two large channels in the center but it seems there is no passage to expel the water on the sides. There are channels that are blocked. Maybe that’s what is causing the issue. I’m sure this design feature has not escaped the engineers. But it was surprising to see it. Check out the pictures of the tread here.

https://www.continentaltire.com/product/terraincontact-22560r17-99h

Thanks

Kerrie

Reaction score
lol, I finally pulled the trigger on Nokian Hakka R3 SUV for my 20” OEM wheels.

I have been running two sets of wheels/tires on my Infiniti for years.

The KO2s on my compos were just not good enough in the snow for all the winter driving I do through Utah, Montana, Idaho, Colorado and Wyoming to get all my ski days in.

I was sick of my Infiniti being better than a Land Rover in the snow.

I’m a little sad to go back to 20’s since I think they look ridiculous on this car, but hopefully it will be worth the extra traction and security. Stopping and turning this 3 ton beast on snow and ice was super unpredictable with the BFGs and I hope the Nokian are much better.

I got a set of the Hakka’s last year, after sliding down my sister’s driveway in the Boulder foothills. I had TerrainContacts and very nearly went off the edge! Since then, I’ve been very impressed with the Hakka’s going over the mountain passes out here, Loveland Pass (they closed it behind us during a rather awful blizzard last year) and Rabbit Ears Pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV