LR4 19” tire options!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a set of the Hakka’s last year, after sliding down my sister’s driveway in the Boulder foothills. I had TerrainContacts and very nearly went off the edge! Since then, I’ve been very impressed with the Hakka’s going over the mountain passes out here, Loveland Pass (they closed it behind us during a rather awful blizzard last year) and Rabbit Ears Pass.

I have the r3’s. I really like the tire, but now that I live in Steamboat Springs, I’m thinking I want something studded.

Driving back from Big Sky last year when all roads south but I-15 were closed, I drove through Monida Pass 10 minutes before they closed it. I have driven in blizzards and snow all my life, but that sh*t was crazy. Semi's blown over, zero visibility, ice and drifting snow on the road. I actually got blown sideways from one lane to another because of the ice and 80+ mph cross winds. (all that was on the mountain snowflake rated KO2s and that was the last straw)

Doing a bunch of driving this season, first off to Steamboat Springs. Looks like you all have had a good October snowfall.

(There is too much high speed, dry driving during the winter in Utah for me to get studded tires. The R3's will have to do.)

armozo

Reaction score
Done! Back to Duratrac. Louder tire but equally as smooth.

E26CD2BC-A848-4CDD-B6D5-BCB137C50988.jpeg

5F1ECF0B-FEAB-4AAB-BB6F-47AD7E5351CD.jpeg

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve had the Conti TereainContact ATs for a week now... it rained hard over the week and I experienced something concerning in hard rain. The front end of the car felt loose, at the edge of hydroplaning. I wasn’t going fast just around town driving 45mph.

Any of you got the same experience? With the old tires I replaced I never felt that. Thanks

mine are amazing in the rain.

Kerrie

Reaction score
Driving back from Big Sky last year when all roads south but I-15 were closed, I drove through Monida Pass 10 minutes before they closed it. I have driven in blizzards and snow all my life, but that sh*t was crazy. Semi's blown over, zero visibility, ice and drifting snow on the road. I actually got blown sideways from one lane to another because of the ice and 80+ mph cross winds. (all that was on the mountain snowflake rated KO2s and that was the last straw)

Doing a bunch of driving this season, first off to Steamboat Springs. Looks like you all have had a good October snowfall.

(There is too much high speed, dry driving during the winter in Utah for me to get studded tires. The R3's will have to do.)

That is insane weather! I’m not sure I would have the skills for that! I will say we were one of the few vehicles that didn’t slide off the road going over Loveland Pass, and visibility was basically just to the front end of the truck, but we didn’t have winds that strong!

And we’ve had a great, snowy start! Hopefully it continues! I hope the r3’s work great for you!

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say we were one of the few vehicles that didn’t slide off the road going over Loveland Pass...
...ice and 80+ mph cross winds. (all that was on the mountain snowflake rated KO2s and that was the last straw)

All that 6000 lbs of weight with low center of gravity (plus proper rubber of course) kept you on the road with those cross winds :)

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I choose a slightly bigger tire. Went with Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar in 255/60/19

Any rubbing at all at steering at full locks (suspension' lowest/highest settings), spare placement in the rear, or speedometer reading issues?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve had the Conti TereainContact ATs for a week now... it rained hard over the week and I experienced something concerning in hard rain. The front end of the car felt loose, at the edge of hydroplaning. I wasn’t going fast just around town driving 45mph.

Any of you got the same experience? With the old tires I replaced I never felt that. Thanks

Could very well be due to the release lubricant not being fully worn off the tires yet. Takes a few hundred miles for it to totally wear off, until then you'll experience less grip than what the tire is actually designed to deliver.

And unfortunately, three factors here also work against us which we have our JLR to thank for:

First, in an attempt to make the truck feel lighter like a Miata, the steering wheel weight at highways speeds in LR4 is very light imho, and that sucks specially during rainy conditions as the truck doesn't feel as stable and well-planted as it really should (like an LR3 which had a perfect steering weight). LR3 was perfect in that regard and felt really reassuring and safe to drive even at 70 mph during rain.

Second, LR4' firmer suspension adds to the unstable and floaty feel on slippery surfaces. On slippery surfaces, softer suspension setups work better due to a couple of reasons related to laws of physics and centrifugal/gravitational forces in play. Again, LR3' well tuned softer suspension setup was perfect for the hard and slippery rainy surfaces.

LR4' firmer suspension is also to blame for ridiculously terrible and unbearable ride quality on corrugated/washboard type of surfaces regardless of airing down as tires can only take that much. I actually had to turn back after only a little into the geological drive at Joshua Tree as the truck was shaking so bad, even on the comfortable as hell TerrainContacts. I felt if I didn't, I would end up rattling each and every single interior and exterior trim piece out of the truck.

Again we have our JRL to thank for the above as the truck needed to feel lighter on its feet and needed to feel like a Ferrari while taking corners on the streets of Beverly Hills.

And third, thanks to the marketing and/or the legal/liability dept(s) at JLR which are ever-ready in attempting to "help" us by making things "easier" for the soccer moms, for the last few model years, the truck has been shipped with only one set of tire pressure specs, which, looking at the numbers, is obviously the spec for when the truck is at its maximum and full payload capacity. So if you are driving the truck without maximum payload, say just you and and another passenger, your tires are essentially overinflated for that load and therefore are offering you a smaller contact patch at each corner to begin with.

I have been experimenting with the correct tire pressures for my MY16 with 19inch to dial in the correct normal load psi levels (to achieve the optimum ride quality) using the past dual load tire pressure specs from earlier model years (like my 06 LR3) as well as the European spec models which still come with two sets of tire pressure levels (please correct me if I am wrong here), a spec for the normal and another for the maximum load.

After asking a couple of stealerships, which of course had no clue, had sent an email out to LRNA asking for the "normal" load tire pressure specs as this "normal" load is also mentioned in the owner' handbook of my MY16, just not the actual psi levels. But of course the reply was unsatisfactory to say the least.

Last edited:

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I choose a slightly bigger tire. Went with Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar in 255/60/19

I'm still struggling with the debate of whether to stick w/ 19s or go with 18" wheels and bigger tires. One other option seems to be going this route. Of course, this really only opens up a couple of other tires. One is this Wrangler Kevlar and another is the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail. Both look interesting.

But I can't seem to shake my concerns about the B load rating (4 ply sidewall). Both tires talk about reinforcements specifically to improve sidewall durability, but yet they're still only B rated. I don't know if these are more, less, or similarly suited to off-road use and/or airing down than XL rated tires ... seems like less, based on the specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA