LR4 Brakes and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JARentDTOM

Reaction score
If you want to do a little work on your car, brakes and rotors are a great place to start.

Almost every disc brake replacement is essentially the same. Once you do them on one vehicle you can do them on any of them. You can watch a Prius brake change and change the LR4s.

Also, your and my driving ability is more of a liability than diy brake changes.

buybrakes

Reaction score
994_8.jpg
https://www.buybrakes.com/ebc-brakes-s3kf1278-s3-kits-greenstuff-6000-and-gd-rotors#compatible-with

This is for the previous post regarding EBC Green pads and the drilled/slotted option . For an extra discount, use coupon code big25 at checkout. Free freight and another $25 off.

Last edited:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would doubt any would be denied for this reason.

They would not only have to investigate the claim to determine who worked on the brakes, they would also have to determine the faulty brake work was the cause in fact of the accident. The cost to do that on each and every claim would far surpass what they would save in the one in two-hundred case where the guy who worked on his own brakes didn't know what he was doing.

It would take you, the driver, saying "I pushed the brakes, but, dangit, I must have really ****** them up when I did the brake job yesterday, and that's why I slammed into that other car" in order for it to move a a needle on the insurance adjuster's meter.

Truth be told, the guy working on his own car probably does a better job than the low-level mechanic that gets tasked with doing a brake job. That's the kind of work a big mechanic operation gives to the new guys with little or no experience. It's easy work and it's hard to mess it up.

Do you rotate your own tires? I'd guess more accidents happen due to improperly tightened lug nuts than they do to bad brake jobs.
I agree with all of this. Let's not start trying to be insurance claims adjusters on this site. There are so many things that could go wrong with giving people the idea that working on their own ride would somehow invalidate their insurance claim. Call your agent and ask if they have something in your policy that requires proof of repairs at a certified shop. Even then if that is the case I don't think many shops would work on your car if they were under the risk of being sued every time someone got in an accident because "they were the last ones to work on the car." I once called my agent because I was installing a ceramic kiln in my basement and said "Is my home insurance at risk if that is the cause of the fire?" the agent responded "No, insurance is not impacted by that but if your house does burn down from the kiln we'll cover the house but we're not buying you a new kiln." I think that same logic should apply to any DIY vehicle work. You're not setting out to cause intentional harm or accidents as a result of your work unless you're just a born criminal. Insurance is there to cover when bad things happen that were not expected.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid just short of $1,000 Parts & Labor. I provided my local indie with parts (about $700). Bought Brembo rotors, Ferodo pads, and sensor. Make sure your LCA bushings are in good condition as you might need to replace them.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Brakes and fluid changes are the easiest way to save money on your vehicle and huge money makers for mechanics and dealers.

That said, I know many people who would be best served not touching their cars at all!

Agreed. Conversely, I never bother with the oil changes on the rovers. It's less than $100 at the dealer and bulk of that is what the oil would cost anyway. If I DIY, then I have to spend way too much time fussing around with the set-up as well as driving somewhere anyway to dispose of it. Might as well drive to the dealer and be done in an hour. It's often been more like $75 when there's a discount which they pretty much give me all the time.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never bother with the oil changes on the rovers. It's less than $100 at the dealer and bulk of that is what the oil would cost anyway.

That's a helluva deal, @jwest. We're up around $180+ here in DC so amortizing the cost of my DIY MityVac was fast. If we had LR dealer oil changes for $75 I'd probably go for it just to get out of the house.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez...ya...if my dealer was $75 consistently I'd probably do it just to get out as well. Personally I've never looked at it since having the MityVac but my guess is it won't be that. I'd also have to weigh the cost of me being there looking at other rides/sold to/etc. :)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez...ya...if my dealer was $75 consistently I'd probably do it just to get out as well. Personally I've never looked at it since having the MityVac but my guess is it won't be that. I'd also have to weigh the cost of me being there looking at other rides/sold to/etc. :)

I should clarify though that the LR3 uses non synthetic oil or maybe a blend but anyway that part is cheap too.

So, I just checked and their website even says normally $80 but right now $60 ! Very hard to beat considering the hassle even if you have the vacuum or a 2 post lift.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.buybrakes.com/ebc-brakes-s3kf1278-s3-kits-greenstuff-6000-and-gd-rotors#compatible-with

This is for the previous post regarding EBC Green pads and the drilled/slotted option . For an extra discount, use coupon code big25 at checkout. Free freight and another $25 off.

Haha, I didn't know you were a Land Rover degenerate as well! ;) Very pleased with the deal on Stoptech set for our Audi S4 recently. I do however wish your account settings would retain previous order info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV