Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has become quite evident that I (my boys and wife) need running boards.

I could get OEM, but the best online price is ~$950+shipping. Local dealers want well over $1000+ 6.25% sales tax.

So doing a search a found this:

http://www.carid.com/2005-land-rover-lr3-running-boards/romik-runningboard-side-steps-912907.html

Amazon has it for ~$400 shipped free, so it's about $600 less. I also like that it is all-black and doesn't seem to protrude as much. 10-year warranty.

Thoughts?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends what you plan to do with your car. If you think to use your LR4 off road then I would invest some money and get real rock sliders ( tactical rovers T44 for example). There is a great thread about these rock sliders on this forum.
If you need just running boards to get in and out of the car then it does not matter what you get as long as you like the quality and appearnace of the product.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with TLB, it really comes down to appearance preference. My colleague bought the ones referenced in your link. I quite like them actually. Not too fancy, but very useful!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many rock sliders/sill guards have out riggers that can act as steps - but they can be slippery. I know a few folks who put grip tape on the tubes.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I am not going to do off-roading serious enough to need side protection. I just need something relatively low-profile to help my kids and if it can afford any semblance of protection, then that's gravy.

The OEM ones seem and look nice, and being aluminum and plastic, I'd like to think they are somewhat lightweight - which is good. But they are very pricey and strike me as somewhat fragile. As I mentioned, they are also not all-black.

The ones I linked may not be a legit side protection, but are much cheaper, all black, made of steel, and appear to be less wide than OEM.

I'll check some of the ones you mention.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might just stick some grip tape (like sand paper with adhesive back) on my Voyager sliders.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh, the voyager sliders do look nice. But they are pricey. Do you have pics?

Also, it seems the Romik steps do not fit LR4's "with rear AC." So that could be a problem.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife ok'd the voyager sliders w/ step, so I guess I'm getting those.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife ok'd the voyager sliders w/ step, so I guess I'm getting those.
You may also want to consider the ones I have - Urban Offroad - as they sell 45/45 or 90/90 out-riggers which would act more like a step for them than the Voyager version. Take a look at the website. Just an option.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9