Shaking brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4 2011

Reaction score
I have read that slotted rotor have a high tendency to crack at slots and hole. Maybe a problem for such a heavy vehicle.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that slotted rotor have a high tendency to crack at slots and hole. Maybe a problem for such a heavy vehicle.

They can if it's a cheap rotor and the holes are drilled all the way through.

I believe that the EBC rotors are dimpled, not drilled. I had them on my wife's LR4 and had no issues. My LR4 will get them when it's time

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slots or dimples rarely cause issues of any sort, and no cracking either.

Drilled rotors can sometimes crack at the rotors, although this does not automatically mean the rotor must be replaced. However for non-racing use, there is not much point to drilled rotors, particularly on a 3-ton truck. FWIW, I have standard plain rotors on my LR4 (not sure what brand, I've never replaced them).

JLM25

Reaction score
I had this happen on my Range Rover HSE Sport. I took it back to the shop and had them rotate the brake discs. FYI, rotating is when they put the brake discs on a lathe and grind off the uneven surface. Fairly simple procedure and worked like a charm. My shop did it at no charge since they installed the new discs and pads.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen on my Range Rover HSE Sport. I took it back to the shop and had them rotate the brake discs. FYI, rotating is when they put the brake discs on a lathe and grind off the uneven surface. Fairly simple procedure and worked like a charm. My shop did it at no charge since they installed the new discs and pads.

Where I grew up we called this "turning" the rotors. If you have an O'reilly's near you, most stores still offer this service for about $12.00 per rotor.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ultimately depends on what caused the shake. If you have an area of "hard" material on the rotor it is likely to return but then then again $12 is worth a try.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72