Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the TPMS, if they are working as intended, you have to get the tire pressure up to the full recommended pressures to shut the warning off, and not a pound or two less.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the TPMS, if they are working as intended, you have to get the tire pressure up to the full recommended pressures to shut the warning off, and not a pound or two less.
Good to know, I checked the pressures last night and they looked to be close enough but I didn't know that this system can be so picky. I'll get the good gauge out and test again.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just wanted to make sure you tried the cheapest and easiest fix first!

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Found the source of the misfire. Cracked spark plugs are no good for a clean spark! New plug put it and she runs great even with me punching it, surprised by how this things hauls a$$.

1F687E56-9710-48EC-BD44-6F6DC893E789.jpeg

Also flushed the mainly distilled water out of the cooling system and put in 50/50 mix now that I'm confident I don't have any leaks.

TPMS issue has self resolved, but wouldn't be surprised if I see it again from what I've been reading, the system is temperamental. I believe the tires are nitrogen filled (green caps) I still have yet to verify pressures with my good gauge but may need a top up at the local tire shop.

Last issue to track down is the oil leak, seems to be coming from the back of the engine, not sure where exactly. Perhaps the oil is pooling in the valley between the heads and running down the back? No leaks in the front from what I can see.

I've already put on 100 miles and filled up at a gas station... at $4.20/Gal

Otherwise, so far so good!

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the oil is pooling in the valley between the heads and running down the back?
Can’t think of how it would be getting into the valley. You mentioned the possibility of a valve cover leak before, and that seems more likely - rear valve cover dripping down the back. Otherwise, maybe oil pan gasket.

You’re sure its motor oil and not transmission fluid or gear box?

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t think of how it would be getting into the valley. You mentioned the possibility of a valve cover leak before, and that seems more likely - rear valve cover dripping down the back. Otherwise, maybe oil pan gasket.

You’re sure its motor oil and not transmission fluid or gear box?
You bring up a very valid point, I don't know for certain that it's motor oil vs gear or trans oil, I just had automatically assumed this as it was the last thing I worked on, who's to say there wasn't a previous leak elsewhere. It seems to be dripping even after the car is off and sitting for a while, which would make it less likely that it's valve covers unless it's just taking it's sweet ass time running down the back of the block.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil leak is certainly coming from the valve cover(s), was able to view the leak from under the car following the exhaust pipe up to the heads, the oil also looks like fresh engine oil, not old gear or transmission fluid. I'll probably redo them the next time I do an oil change.

This has me thinking that's it would probably be good practice to replace the trans fluid and filter sooner than later, who knows when that was done previously. I'll have to get the filter ordered which I believe is part of the pan. I already have a dozen ZF8 bottles of trans fluid sitting around that I bought for other cars but ended up not using.

The truck is going to the body shop today to fix the cracked rear bumper and quarter panel, while investigating the damage, I noticed a couple of out of place cables coming from behind the rear left tail light, one is tapped into the tail light harness, there's also a set of RCA cables that's not plugged into anything. So odd, maybe this was used for a backup camera? The truck isn't currently equipped with one so perhaps someone did a retrofit, I was thinking of retro fitting one anyway so this wiring may be useful.

CAD45B39-7C71-4D9B-8D4B-F668BBDF1D09.jpeg

A couple of additional smaller issues to tackle, the spare tire winch isn't working, the steel cable is rolled up and zip-tied underneath with the spare tire sitting in the trunk and the radio antenna needs to be replaced as it's completely been torn off, I've seen a good write up on installing a new one.

And TPMS light is back.... yay!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the separate trans pan and filter. Will make changing it much easier. Search here and youtube for videos on doing it.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve replaced that winch, like everything LR it’s not cheap.
I opened mine and it was all jammed up with sand and the cable was kinked pretty badly, I don't think I have a choice but to replace it.

You're right tho, it's like a $250+ part. This is one of the things I'm considering going aftermarket on since it's just there holding a tire. Tons of aftermarket options in the sub $70 range, I'll try one of these and report back on quality.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA