2012 US Spec 5.0 Won’t Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried jumping with F250 and GLS 450. No dice

Removed fender panel and banged on starter. No dice.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how difficult it is to remove the starter and simply test it when it's out but that's what I would do; I'd be looking to ensure that it's:

1) Turning
2) Has enough grunt to push the pinion gear in to the flywheel

The answer to these two questions may help figure out if you need a replacement or it's an electrical issue? There's also a starter relay:
1682003702819.png

And the huge fuse (as you mention):

1682003861795.png

I don't know where the fuse is but this implies it's somewhere between the battery +ve and the starter motor; FYI - the black cable depicted above goes directly to the starter motor.

Last edited:

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered starter, will install tomorrow when it arrives.
I'd be curious to hear about the steps involved, I was looking for a YouTube video but couldn't find a great step by step video for the LR4! Keep us posted - Thanks.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, when you press the brake pedal do you hear a click? If so try moving the shifter in and out of park then try starting the car.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I seriously dealt with this and I know how to fix it.

The hard way is to press down on the brake pedal as hard as you can, and hit the Start/Stop button.

The easy way to start it when the brakes are stiff and it only clicks once; Without pressing on the brakes, press the Start/Stop button to put it into ACC, step down on the (soft) brakes as far down as possible, and then hit the Start/Stop button again to start it.

This happened once in a blue moon and suddenly happened all the time. Turns out that I needed to recalibrate my Transfer Case.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously dealt with this and I know how to fix it.

The hard way is to press down on the brake pedal as hard as you can, and hit the Start/Stop button.

The easy way to start it when the brakes are stiff and it only clicks once; Without pressing on the brakes, press the Start/Stop button to put it into ACC, step down on the (soft) brakes as far down as possible, and then hit the Start/Stop button again to start it.

This happened once in a blue moon and suddenly happened all the time. Turns out that I needed to recalibrate my Transfer Case.
Interesting. Mine def has the stiff brake pedal but I can’t get it to go soft.

Hopefully the starter fixes it so I can sell this POS. These things are junk. I’ve never owned a vehicle with so many issues and errors, including two Ferraris.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine def has the stiff brake pedal but I can’t get it to go soft.

Hopefully the starter fixes it so I can sell this POS. These things are junk. I’ve never owned a vehicle with so many issues and errors, including two Ferraris.
The brake pedal is going to stay firm until the engine is running, providing vacuum.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I feel your pain... I'm actually debating if I want to keep it going. I had a catastrophic failure, not engine or powertrain related, and to properly fix it, I would want all new oem struts and front lcas.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72