2012 US Spec 5.0 Won’t Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain... I'm actually debating if I want to keep it going. I had a catastrophic failure, not engine or powertrain related, and to properly fix it, I would want all new oem struts and front lcas.
But your failure sounded like a faulty weld or metal on that LCA you mentioned which caused a cascade effect ultimately busting the airbag no? I mean that just sounded like a freak issue. You really moving on?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
But your failure sounded like a faulty weld or metal on that LCA you mentioned which caused a cascade effect ultimately busting the airbag no? I mean that just sounded like a freak issue. You really moving on?
There's a ton of other things that I've been through. All separate incididents from the top of my head, swapped out 2 transmissions, 3 water pumps, 2 thermostats, 2 front crossover pipes, 1 rear crossover, 2 oil cooler o-rings, both hpfp, gas tank o-ring, timing chain, ignition coils, o2 sensors, 2x both maf, map sensor, carbon buildup on valves, air compressor, air suspension issues (calibration), valve blocks (all), rear hatch, charging faults (2x alternators and 4x batteries), rear drive shaft, front diff, front windshield replacement, panoramic roof replacement, sunroof drains, poor gas mileage (10 mpg on-road and 7 mpg off-road), exhaust manifold (removed heads), ac condenser, and this last freak accident has me thinking... is it worth it anymore?

I love this thing and I've done everything to maintain it. Put it this way, when I did my exhaust manifolds and removing the heads I went ahead and retapped each hole for an easy future installand removal of bolts, cleaned everything prior to install, and torqued everything to spec. The chains are tight with zero play. I put everything into it, so, I'm on the fence. I might just put in oem suspension and see how I feel.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a ton of other things that I've been through. All separate incididents from the top of my head, swapped out 2 transmissions, 3 water pumps, 2 thermostats, 2 front crossover pipes, 1 rear crossover, 2 oil cooler o-rings, both hpfp, gas tank o-ring, timing chain, ignition coils, o2 sensors, 2x both maf, map sensor, carbon buildup on valves, air compressor, air suspension issues (calibration), valve blocks (all), rear hatch, charging faults (2x alternators and 4x batteries), rear drive shaft, front diff, front windshield replacement, panoramic roof replacement, sunroof drains, poor gas mileage (10 mpg on-road and 7 mpg off-road), exhaust manifold (removed heads), ac condenser, and this last freak accident has me thinking... is it worth it anymore?

I love this thing and I've done everything to maintain it. Put it this way, when I did my exhaust manifolds and removing the heads I went ahead and retapped each hole for an easy future installand removal of bolts, cleaned everything prior to install, and torqued everything to spec. The chains are tight with zero play. I put everything into it, so, I'm on the fence. I might just put in oem suspension and see how I feel.
‍ Yeah…. Damn.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I just purchased all oem struts, 3rd brake light assembly (mine is breaking down), and britpart front seat covers from UK. Let's see how it goes when it comes in...

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow. I thought my list was long… you win!

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My list:
Reman engine
Radiator
All cooling system hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Front & rear crossovers
Spark plugs
PCV valves
New bolts to reattach front driveshaft
Front air struts (rear in my garage for when they fail)
Misc bushings
Front bearing/hubs
Soon to be front CV axles
JXB rear carrier support in the box waiting to install
new starter on the way

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
@M32H32IS Just saying, I FEEL your pain. Honestly, I don't know if I can deal with issues. To think ALL the maintenance and care I put into it that it would last another 100k miles with ease, but that's not the case. Depending on how I feel after I get the oem struts on, changing out the 3rd brake light, new o2 sensors, and walnut blasting the valves again, I would either keep it or sell it.

I've also recently replaced the FLCAs, sway bar links, maintained all 5 fluid changes (front/rear diffs, transmission, transfer case, and engine [3k miles]), brakes, rotors, and I'm sure I'm missing a ton of other things too.

It'll run like a champ before I make my decision.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@M32H32IS Just saying, I FEEL your pain. Honestly, I don't know if I can deal with issues. To think ALL the maintenance and care I put into it that it would last another 100k miles with ease, but that's not the case. Depending on how I feel after I get the oem struts on, changing out the 3rd brake light, new o2 sensors, and walnut blasting the valves again, I would either keep it or sell it.

I've also recently replaced the FLCAs, sway bar links, maintained all 5 fluid changes (front/rear diffs, transmission, transfer case, and engine [3k miles]), brakes, rotors, and I'm sure I'm missing a ton of other things too.

It'll run like a champ before I make my decision.
What's your mileage and driving conditions?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Not sure about mileage, maybe 170k? Driving conditions? It's my dedicated off road vehicle, so pavement to trailhead, off road trails, and then pavement back home. I take it to my snowboarding trips too. I don't really drive it all that often.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My list:
Reman engine
Radiator
All cooling system hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Front & rear crossovers
Spark plugs
PCV valves
New bolts to reattach front driveshaft
Front air struts (rear in my garage for when they fail)
Misc bushings
Front bearing/hubs
Soon to be front CV axles
JXB rear carrier support in the box waiting to install
new starter on the way
I know you had to get an engine soon after buying.

What is the mileage?

It is 11 years old and a complex 4x4 vehicle. Outside of the engine the other stuff is just consumables expected on an 11 year old vehicle?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72