Front A Protection Bar - Should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am having a heck of a time deciding whether to go with the front A protection bar for my LR4. I like it, but I am not sure I like how it blocks a lot of the front grill and LR lettering.

I did a bit of Photoshop work to see what it would look like with the protection bar.

What do you guys/gals thing? Should I go for it?

My LR4 currently without the A bar:

Second.jpg

With the bar photoshopped in:

Second12.jpg

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just personal preference, but I think they look a little "Tonka" to me.

Sixshooter

Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't cover the front of that great looking ride with anything. I personally think it cheapens the look. But that's just me, if you like it by all means go for it!

Six

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just personal preference, but I think they look a little "Tonka" to me.
Hi bash535i,

I definitely see that as well.... In some ways I like it, but there are still things about it I don't like at all. I think the only thing that would make it look better is with lights. Thanks!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't cover the front of that great looking ride with anything. I personally think it cheapens the look. But that's just me, if you like it by all means go for it!

Six
Hey Sixshooter,

That's the big reason for not jumping on it, as I hate covering the front of the LR4 - it looks so nice. I don't want to cheapen any look. Although, I have seen a number of LR4s with the A bar in person and it looks great - especially on black. Though, the ones that look best have lights mounted.

I am likely going to pass, but still thinking.....

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Hi David. It would be a colossal waste of money for you to get that A-bar.

The way you're going, I see a winch bumper in your future. And once you have that, you'd have to get rid of the A-bar. The winch bumper isn't available yet. But there's plenty to keep you busy until ARB finalizes the design and makes it available.

If you're itching to spend some $ on your truck, please allow me to suggest a shopping list:
18" Rims
GoodYear MT/R's 275/65R18
Johnson Rods or similar
Rock sliders
Recovery kit:
Recovery straps
Tree strap
Shackles
****** block
Extra winch rope
leather gloves
Safety glasses
Hi-Lift jack
Compressor/hose
Shovel

Don't forget a nice floor jack. That should be enough to get you started. :D

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David. It would be a colossal waste of money for you to get that A-bar.

The way you're going, I see a winch bumper in your future. And once you have that, you'd have to get rid of the A-bar. The winch bumper isn't available yet. But there's plenty to keep you busy until ARB finalizes the design and makes it available.

If you're itching to spend some $ on your truck, please allow me to suggest a shopping list:
18" Rims
GoodYear MT/R's 275/65R18
Johnson Rods or similar
Rock sliders
Recovery kit:
Recovery straps
Tree strap
Shackles
****** block
Extra winch rope
leather gloves
Safety glasses
Hi-Lift jack
Compressor/hose
Shovel

Don't forget a nice floor jack. That should be enough to get you started. :D
Hey CaptainSpalding,

Thanks for the suggestions... Really appreciate it. I have most of the items in your list for the recovery kit.... Though i went with a quality bottle jack with really solid base. I am still going back and forth about the 18" wheels, but I definitely am considering it. I definitely want to continue off-roading and learn more, but I actually don't plan on doing anything major - so not sure about the rods. As for the rock sliders, I really like the sliders from Voyager or GN Vehicle Protection that have the small step. I think that's enough protection for me.

Thanks so much - I think I have decided to forego the protection A Bar - save my $$ for something else! :)

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David,
Someone posted a pic a while back of their LR4 with a protection bar that was designed for the LR3. That looked very nice. I would consider that instead of this A bar. You LR4 looks great.
George

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Courtesy of StepanT at disco3 co uk:

normal_D3_D4.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David,
Someone posted a pic a while back of their LR4 with a protection bar that was designed for the LR3. That looked very nice. I would consider that instead of this A bar. You LR4 looks great.
George
Thanks, George!

Yes, it's definitely coming along. I thought about the 18" wheels from Compomotive, but now putting it aside because I was told it can cause issues with your warranty. Maybe down the line, but for now I am sticking with the 19" rims and will likely go with one of the better off-road tires like Pirelli ATRs. I hear great things about these tires. That will be sufficient for what I plan to do - nothing crazy. I am getting the GN Vehicle Protection rock sliders / step combo as I love the look and it will provide some protection. I'll keep you posted with pictures.

-David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112