LR4 Mileage Poll

How Many Miles on Your Rig?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting right at 89,000 miles. 2013 MY. Just replaced both front wheel hub assemblies, and recently did the LCAs. Drives like new now. Super quiet again (wheel bearings were noisy) and rides nice after the LCAs.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have twin daughters that start driving soon and they want my LR4. But I know a few families with LR4's and it proved to be too big and heavy for their beginner drivers. And I want them to have autonomous emergency braking and blind spot warning when they start driving. Have my eye on a VW Alltrack for them.

My new driving kids love the LR4 and have essentially taken it over. It is so easy to drive.. Too big, heavy? What are they pushing it? lol.? The footprint is no bigger than a mid size car and the visibility is excellent. Plus it is a tank if something goes sideways. Both do not like my Honda Ridgeline to drive. They absolutely hate driving my old Volvo 1800E. It's a standard, they can do it but are lazy. Plus when else will they ever get to experience a Laycock de Normanville overdrive?

I can understand the want for the safety nannies but I have drilled into them that situational awareness and attention with NO distractions is the key. They are young and have faster response times than me. If they focus on what they are doing they will be fine.

Hit something due to inattention? Back to the bus for you or enjoy walking.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow I suspect that driving in Alberta and driving in the Boston area are two very different experiences. Do streets in Alberta actually have street signs? Ours don't. Do Alberta drivers ever use turn signals on the highway? (Nobody uses their "blinkah" here) How about being allowed to drive in the breakdown lane? Constant tailgating at 70 mph? Every mom in an SUV holding a cell phone like a slice of pizza? Overall aggressive, competitive driving for some unknown reason?

Luckily our teen girls are good drivers and have learned to compete in this crazy driving environment. I ended-up buying them a Honda Passport and they drive the LR4 too. But not the new Defender...yet.

Last edited:

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just passed 106k on my 2011 LR4, about 9k on new timing, cooling and head job. Between the RR and LR3 there R4 stays hot as the wife likes it over the other two.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow I suspect that driving in Alberta and driving in the Boston area are two very different experiences. Do streets in Alberta actually have street signs? Ours don't. Do Alberta drivers ever use turn signals on the highway? (Nobody uses their "blinkah" here) How about being allowed to drive in the breakdown lane? Constant tailgating at 70 mph? Every mom in an SUV holding a cell phone like a slice of pizza? Overall aggressive, competitive driving for some unknown reason?

Luckily our teen girls are good drivers and have learned to compete in this crazy driving environment. I ended-up buying them a Honda Passport and they drive the LR4 too. But not the new Defender...yet.

You have a point but somehow we mostly survived a short 10 years ago driving without all the electronic nannies. I suppose the introduction of the smart phone has changed things? As you know the kids are young and resilient and they will adapt quickly, I am more worried about the old man these days lol. Boston does sound aggressive but passing through there years ago it didn't seem any worse than any other metro area. Montreal? yeah that was the worst. I spend most of my miles on motorcycles these days and if anything sharpens your awareness and defensive driving skills it is riding a bike in a sea of cagers.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a point but somehow we mostly survived a short 10 years ago driving without all the electronic nannies.
And 20+ years ago with even fewer nannies. :cool:

I suppose the introduction of the smart phone has changed things?
The mobile phone started changing things back in the 90's, not in a good way. As the price came down & size got smaller and everyone had one, things got worse. The "smart" phone with instant access to everything (mid-00's?) dumped gasoline on the dumpster fire. Today, when people start asking about how to get Bluetooth connection in their vehicle for their phone (and not for music)... I have to bite my tongue.

I spend most of my miles on motorcycles these days and if anything sharpens your awareness and defensive driving skills it is riding a bike in a sea of cagers.
You are brave. I finally gave up riding on the street. Too many idiots on the phone and not watching their surroundings. It is exhausting riding a bike in a sea of cagers, when you must assume you are 100% invisible to every single cage. It wasn't NEARLY as bad in the early 90's before everyone was on the damn phone. Now, I have to drive my car (and LR4) like I'm riding a bike. It's ridiculous.

</rant>

:motz:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the best solution is to not buy a new car with any tech. I am happy to live with choices from 2010 and earlier (2013 and earlier for the LR4 since it's tech was ancient lol).

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the best solution is to not buy a new car with any tech. I am happy to live with choices from 2010 and earlier (2013 and earlier for the LR4 since it's tech was ancient lol).
After the 2010 LR4, our next newest vehicle that we plan to keep is a 1997, and the rest of the fleet are all between 1987-1995. All have ABS and airbags (which I consider a minimum), most have traction control (very useful on snow/ice).

The one newfangled techie thing I like in the LR4 is the iPod integration. We keep an 80GB iPod permanently in the center console. Love being able to leave it on shuffle and skip tracks / adjust volume from the steering wheel. No need to take eyes off the road!

:thrasher:

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you all and sympathize on the tech. But I’ve just spent way too long bastardizing my dash to get an oversized screen and Iplay working to eliminate the “pizza slice phone in hand” of my better half.

and yes. I’m only saying that as she has no way of finding out ;)

Young reactions and awareness should win out over old age, lethargy and complacency. Although I do like the nanny driver aids when I can switch them off ;)

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, if you can learn to drive in Boston or NYC with no driver assistance you are good to go for life anywhere in the world. Well, maybe not southeast Asia, but you would stand a better chance than most.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72