Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the shop manual it just says discard sealing washer and install new sealing washer. No mention of a part number.

4a0ad0f0119cc32c636c5d50bab873d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the gasket is. I would imagine it could be a brass crush washer. You would probably be able to go to your local hardware store to find a substitute, but the issue is you could only do it with the gasket in your hand and your car empty of oil.

Worst case is you reuse the gasket. I've reused plenty of gaskets on oil drain plugs in my time, and have never had an issue.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered one from Atlantic British. Figure it’s probably best to have one in my hand before I do it, especially if it’s a rubber seal, and nobody has ever changed the oil via the drain plug.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note I just changed the vacuum pump seal, super easy. Took me maybe 10-15 minutes. The old seal didn’t seem too bad, but I did notice it was much harder than the new one. Fingers crossed that I fixed one leak.

2e4d1d8cd8818441d5db5d9af2710d86.jpg

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a rubber seal built into the oil drain plug, not replaceable IIRC. I re-use it, no issues so far.

I'd recommend some sort of plate or baffle to direct the oil stream coming out of the pan, it makes an incredible mess otherwise. Last time, I tried a 1-inch 90° PVC pipe elbow, put in place as soon as I pulled the plug. Reduced the mess 90%.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the quote from the local Indy Land Rover shop:

to replace the timing chain guides and tensioners valve cover gaskets it is approximately 5297.48 with tax

Anybody know of any other good Land Rover shops in Upstate New York?

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will third the re using the drain plug and not having any issues and second the notion of having some sort of system for oil drain management as I made a huge mess the first time.
Our last LR4 leaked slightly at the passenger rear valve cover gasket. My notion is that it gets cooked by heat from the exhaust piping right below it that is slightly different on either side of the engine.
Thanks for this thread, very informative!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA