Question for Those Who Have Done Timing Chains - Cam Adjusters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently acquiring parts to dig into this while my truck is semi-disassembled anyway.

For those who have done the job, or had it done. Were your camshaft adjusters/phasers replaced?

I'm wondering if it is worth the extra $1,200.00 or so to replace these while the engine is dismantled.

I have never personally heard of a failure of these, but I would hate to get the job done and have to break it down again later.

Any insight or thoughts appreciated.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
For those who have done the job, or had it done. Were your camshaft adjusters/phasers replaced?

I reused mine. No issues so far.

Just make sure you didn't accidentally score any of the teeth of the sprockets. If you did, replace it as it may score or damage the chains themselves. This was another reason why I didn't use the cam sprocket tool and made my own.

I wouldn't change it out for new ones for no reason.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm strongly considering changing them, because I know it would haunt me if I didn't and they failed another 10,000 miles down the road.

I'm actually considering just trailering the truck the 3 miles or so to my indy, having him yank the entire engine and bringing back the engine on a stand to work on in my garage at leisure. If I understand what I have been reading correctly, pulling the engine is the only way to replace the accessory drive chain. My thoughts on that are identical to the cam adjusters.

Be a hella lot easier to walnut blast and add the catch can without crawling over the engine bay, as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM