2013 LR4 I'm new need advice on wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Here's a preview of my new tire 285/70r17.

20210508_080944.jpg 20210508_080937.jpg

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running 255/70r17s
And as a plus, the proportions just LOOK right on the truck, with a decent alloy wheel no less. Nice! Also appears to be a convenient 'air' setup you have going.
Any new obstacles/challenges going to the 285's?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
And as a plus, the proportions just LOOK right on the truck, with a decent alloy wheel no less. Nice! Also appears to be a convenient 'air' setup you have going.
Any new obstacles/challenges going to the 285's?

I'll need to do a lot, I've already trimmed the front, but need to cut the frame horns and weld a blanking plate.

20210508_115015.jpg

The rear, I'll need to relocate the rear heater core lines that run on the LH rear wheel well.

So, lots of cutting and melting/bending plastic. I have a set of bora (bulletproof off road accessories) 1.25" spacers coming too, to decrease the chance of hitting the uca.

I'm doing all this for functionality, when the wheel gets stuffed into the wheel well I'll be clear and free.

Haris

Reaction score
@adclark and others - my Tuffant 18" steelies are being delivered today, and I will be fitting them with 265/65/18 KO2s tomorrow. Will let you know of any issues with 1) rubbing, and 2) fitting in the spare.

My expectation is that it will rub when in access height OR perhaps even in Normal height at lock, but I am hoping that will go away with wear. I am also expecting that the spare will fit when deflated to 15psi or so.

Haris

Reaction score
045BB943-CAA0-46C9-A870-4FC2D1E75A70.jpeg
B686A36E-09F8-4A2C-80B2-D1AE2D144DA9.jpeg
Installed the 265/65/18 ko2 with Tuffants. Some rubbing at full lock in normal height, but not too much. Will examine wheels tomorrow to see where exactly. Also, the spare wouldn’t go in unless deflated, so I’ll need to carry my compressor at all times (used to do it only for off-road use).

Haris

Reaction score
I did sense some vibration at highway speeds, and a friend suggested a load force realignment and balancing. I’ll be doing that. Otherwise, looking forward to trying these off-road!

Haris

Reaction score
@Haris Looks good! I assume you're paying attention to where things are rubbing. To my mind, ANY rubbing is not good, because either the tire is going to lose the battle, or something else will.
Yes, I'll be reviewing it today in daylight, to see if I need to do anything about it. I expect its happening at the frame horns as others have mentioned above. I feel that since turns at full lock are rare, I'll just be more careful with those. I have heard that as the tires wear out more, this situation fixes itself. Will see.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, greiswig is right - NO RUBBING should be acceptable when it's avoidable.
The simple way to avoid ANY problems is to fit 265/60 X 18's and not fit a 1/2" bigger sidewall for very
minor benefit. The sidewalls on the slightly lower profile tire of the BFG KO2's are extremely tough - better
I'd suggest than ANY other cheaper brand in the -65's - including Coopers.
To have to grind, cut or use added mods to fit a slightly bigger tire shows some guys have too much time to fill in. The capability of the LR4 is great as it is. The benefit is too small to measure.
The need to air-down the spare to get a -65 profile to fit is a good enough reason to stay with a 30.5" wheel/tire combination.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut