New Brakes - 2015 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Got a quote for new front brakes on 2015 LR4, as warning light is on. Roughly $660 from Dealership for Front. Does this seem normal?

I recently replaced my REAR brakes for around $350.

Also, how long can one wait once the <<ORANGE Brakes Low warning light>> is illuminated on dashboard?

Thanks!

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is always a lively topic on here.

Can you elaborate on the quoted scope of work? Whats listed? At that price I would assume it may include new rotors, if you have a nice dealer? Retail part cost for new pads up front including the sensor should range from $80 to $100 for "aftermarket" OEM Brembo / Ferodo. Stopping power, brake dust, noise, and brand loyalty all weigh heavily on price point.

A typical vehicle front brake job (most domestic / import value vehicles), pads only, at a independent shop, shouldn't cost more than $150. The workings of an LR4 brake system is just the same as almost every other vehicle on the road, LR dealers and some independent shops prey on LR owners.

Waiting on the Orange light is subjective. I've had my light go off with .250" of pad life left. To me thats conservatively 5k to 8K miles of pad left depending on driver habits.

Call around to and independent LR shop, another dealer?

Let's see what the other's say.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality LR4 rotors are expensive. Even the good ones I can only squeeze two sets of pads out of. Profit center for dealer. Buy the tools and dodge the fools.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my experience the dealer will always replace the rotors. You will find that once the sensor kicks in you will have to replace it. That means you have to remove the inner fender and wheel flair. Not a difficult job but time consuming. Make sure you have new plastic rivets that hold the inner fender in place because you will scrap some of those out when removing. You should not have to replace the rotors unless they are grooved can't be turned. Doing the job yourself should only cost about $200 for pads, sensor, slides and rivets if you don't buy OEM. These cost $259 for just the pads. If you don't have the tools to do it yourself check with a local indy shop they will be far less expensive than the dealer. Atlantic British has a great video on how to replace the pads.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need more info. $660 sounds low for front pads+rotors, and high for pads only. How many miles on the truck, and have the brakes ever been replaced since new?

If you can turn a wrench at all, this job is totally DIY'able within an afternoon, for <$100 with OEM Ferodo pads + sensors. Add a couple hundred bucks for rotors if they are grooved or measure below min spec in the factory manual. As mentioned above you the rotors generally last through 2-3 sets of pads.

:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM